We have been responsible for the management of asbestos for Cornwall Council since 1996.
We are now operating as private company, offering testing, sampling, surveying and analytical services to domestic and commercial customers.
We can provide sample analysis of materials suspected of containing asbestos, issuing certification detailing the type(s) of asbestos present within the sample.
All of our bulk analysts holding the BOHS P401 certificate or equivalent. The laboratory also participates in the Asbestos in Materials Scheme, an external quality control scheme run by the Health and Safety Laboratory.
Our usual turnaround for sample analysis is three days. However, we also offer a 24-hour service. If results are urgent, a one hour turnaround is normally available with prior notice.
The links below give more information on our different asbestos services:
- Management and reinspections*
- Air monitoring and four-stage clearance
- Bulk sample analysis
- Cormac is a UKAS accredited testing laboratory for undertaking asbestos samples and bulk sample analysis and has a purpose built laboratory equipped to the highest standards
- Accreditation by UKAS means that evaluators, testing and calibration laboratories, inspection and certification bodies have been assessed against internationally-recognised standards to demonstrate their competence, impartiality and performance capability
- The Asbestos Service's Quality System is a local system forming part of Cormac’s management system, for which it holds ISO/IEC 9001; ISO/IEC 14001; and OHSAS 18001 accreditation
- It has been designed to supplement the company management system, fulfilling the requirements of its own UKAS accreditation to BS EN ISO/IEC 17025 (Testing No. 0756) for its sampling and testing services and BS EN ISO/IEC 17020 (Inspection No. 0261) for its asbestos surveying services.
- All air monitoring and fibre counting is in accordance with the HSE document ‘Asbestos: The analysts’ guide for sampling, analysis and clearance procedures.’ (HSG248)
- Our analysts hold the BOHS (British Occupational Hygiene Society) P403 and 404 certificates (or equivalent) and participate in the RICE (Regular Interlaboratory Counting Exchange); an external quality control scheme run by the Health and Safety Laboratory.
- Once asbestos containing materials (ACMs) have been identified the materials have to be managed in order to comply with the ‘Duty to Manage Asbestos’ as defined in Regulation 4 of CAR (Control of Asbestos Regulations)
*Not UKAS accredited