Bude Hillhead Junction and Binhamy Road
CORMAC has been contracted to undertake the construction of a new roundabout to replace the existing T-junction between the A3072 Stratton Road and the A39 Hillhead/Binhamy Road to the east of Bude.
This scheme involves the removal and replacement of an existing hedge and cutting back of existing vegetation; diversion of existing statutory undertakers' equipment; construction of new carriageway, drainage, kerbs and footways, new road lighting, traffic signs and road markings.
The scheme is being constructed in three phases:
- Phase 1 - Enabling works and site clearance
- Phase 2 - Diversion of utilities
- Phase 3 - Construction of new roundabout
The current roundabout construction works followed a lengthy period of extensive utility diversion works. These works were an essential part of the overall project and included the movement or protection of significant fibre-optic telecommunications equipment, in addition to gas, water and electrical plant. The roundabout construction phase started on 24 October 2016.
While every endeavour is being made to restrict the use of temporary traffic lights, there are times when three-way traffic lights have to be in place in order to protect our workers from traffic and members of the public from any exposed/incomplete works.
Please be assured we are doing all we can to minimise construction impacts for everyone and your patience and cooperation is appreciated while this major junction improvement takes place.
It is expected that the works will be completed in spring 2017.
Last updated: Friday 12 May
- We have had a surfacing gang laying the top and final surface of the carriageway tarmac, which along with the road-marking, will be completed on Friday 12 May.
- Week commencing Monday 15 May we complete the pavements, whereby traffic lights will be in place.
- To help ease the congestion, the traffic lights will be in operation between 9.30am to 3.30pm and will be removed for the weekend.
- We will also complete the signage and installation of the new streetlights.
- It is anticipated that the works will be complete by Friday 19 May.
- Preparations are currently underway off the road. From Monday 22 May, two-way traffic lights will be erected to manage traffic while we construct the works.
- We shall be looking to reduce the inconvenience from these traffic lights by manually controlling them if required at peak times, and removing the lights all together when safe.
- Letter to residents
- Work phases