School crossing patrols

We provide a school crossing patrol service on behalf of Cornwall Council for over 100 sites in the county. These sites operate Monday to Friday, mornings and afternoons, during term time.

School crossing patrols can stop traffic to allow children and adults to cross the road safely on their way to and from school.

Only trained school crossing patrol wardens, commonly known as 'lollipop' people, can use a stop sign (lollipop) and they must only operate in a designated area, usually close to a school.

Parents and guardians should be aware that they remain responsible for making sure their child crosses the road safely, even where a school crossing patrol is provided.

Become a school crossing patrol warden

Benefits and rewards of the role are:

  • A paid role
  • Weekdays during school term time only
  • Be on duty for one to two hours per day
  • Plenty of fresh air and, hopefully, sunshine
  • Meet lots of people - all ages, all walks of life
  • Get a real sense of being part of the community

There are usually vacancies somewhere in the county. We are looking for people with customer care experience and can demonstrate that they are reliable, punctual and conscientious.

We are always looking for relief patrols that are willing to be called in at short notice to cover for permanent patrols. The requirements for the role are the same as above.

How is a patrol site established?

Requests for new sites can come from a number of sources including a school, member of the public, town or parish council. School crossing patrols can only be provided at sites where criteria meet national guidelines. The criteria depend on a number of factors, but primarily the number of primary school age children and the volume of vehicles at the site at the relevant times.


You can get in touch through our contact form or call 01872 327886

Useful links

Our services

Major projects

Roadworks and traffic

Cormac programming


Work for us

About us